Saturday, November 14, 2009

Mayumana (Doo doo da doo doo)

First off, a shoutout to another OTZMAnik and fellow blogger, Ari, for profiling me as part of his OTZMA Participant Profile series and linking to both of my blogs. Go ahead and check out The Adventures of Ari before reading what I have to say - well worth the time.

Anyway, I've got a few topics to cover here from this past weekend. First off, as you may have read on my Twitter account, Allie and I took a trip to Tel Aviv on Thursday for a very fun night, which was highlighted by a performance by a dance group called Mayumana. Think Stomp, with tons of audience participation, music, beat boxing, and various comedy skits - all with very cool dances. Also, the dancers were so ridiculously in shape that one of the dancer's butt was probably more toned than my whole body. The group was founded in Tel Aviv something like 13 years ago, and they now have dance troupes all over Europe, in New York, South America, and even in Japan. VERY cool stuff, so if you're in the Big Apple and are looking for a good show, consider it. Here are some videos to see what I'm talking about:







Moving on... tonight OTZMA participated in an auction fundraiser for Netzach Yisrael, a local congregation that many people in the group volunteer at. OTZMAniks volunteered various talents to be auctioned off, including an Italian cooking lesson, babysitting, guitar lessons, and even modern dance lessons. There were also several musical acts thoughout, including from Tali, a fellow Yokneamite. (Sidebar: That's what I'm calling those of us living in Yokneam during Part II.) My roommate Jeremy served as the MC, and Allie actually planned the entire thing (she does marketing for the synagogue). Here are some pictures from the event:


(Some of the OTZMAniks at the auction)

(Crowd shot during the auction)

(Allie doing her best Vanna White impression)

(Jeremy and Tali as she performs)

(Allie and Jeremy with Marty, Allie's adoptive dad in Ashkelon and a Netzach Yisrael bigwig. Yes, I just successfully used the word bigwig in my blog.)

Now, I could post pictures from the apartment I now have in Yokneam... but this has had a lot of multimedia features and whatnot already, so I think I'll save that for another day. Maybe with the mythical Meet the Hirschs Part II. (Sidebar: I swear one day I'll write that!!!) So as usual, I'll wrap up with a few random thought...

-Wait, Mizzou football won? So we shouldn't fire Pinkel? It was an overreaction to say that after one bad game? Is everyone back to being proud of being a Missouri Tiger again? OK, sarcasm aside, it's obvious that, as Denny Green would say, this team is who we thought they were. In other words, it's a young team destined for a lower bowl, we've seen great performances from some of the seniors (Danario and Spoon), Gabbert has had his growing pains but will be better for it, and the young guys have shown their promise. Watch for better things next year, folks.

-That being said, I couldn't be more excited about Mizzou basketball this year. I actually think that they are going to be much better than predicted, namely due to the expected maturation of guys like Ramsey, Bowers, and especially Kimmie English. This guy might be the most charismatic athlete Mizzou's seen in a long time. Let's be real, for all of Chase Daniel's success, he was never exactly known as the most likable guy on campus. But Kimmie is a guy who truly loves Mizzou and wants to be a part of every aspect of campus. I truly believe that if he could personally meet every Mizzou fan, he would. Plus, he recently was quoted as saying that his favorite part of basketball was hearing the ball bounce off the floor. How cool is that? Add in guys like J.T. Tiller, the likely Big XII defensive player of the year and a guy who makes a point to go to EVERY Mizzou sporting event no matter what it is, Zaire Taylor, and the best dressed coach in basketball (Mike Anderson), and you've got a recipe for one of the most charismatic teams we've seen in a long time. I couldn't be more pumped.

-I'm liking How I Met Your Mother this season, but I'm a little torn on how they (SPOILER ALERT!!!) ended the Barney-Robin relationship so soon. I mean, they pretty much spent 2 years setting this up, just to end after 7 episodes. That being said, Barney clearly should not be in a relationship, it just kills his character. And I'm not sure what I'm more excited for - Slapsgiving 2: Revenge of the Slap or the Robin Sparkles Variety Show?

That's all I've got, so Shavuah Tov everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment