Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Max's Top 10 Christmas Songs!

Oh yeah. You read that title right. See, I don't buy into the myth that as a Jew, I'm not supposed to like Christmas music. Truth is, I don't see how you don't! It's just so happy! Sure, I'm not exactly into the songs that are all about Jesus as lord and savior. Comes with the territory of not believing it. But there are plenty of other great songs, and were I back in America right now, my radio would be tuned to the local station playing holiday music 24/7. And I have no shame in admitting that. So, to celebrate the beginning of the holiday season, I'm going to treat you all to my favorite Christmas songs. So read on, and then feel free to leave comments with your personal favorite and thoughts on my list. Let's begin...

Honorable Mention: "Christmas is All Around" by Billy Mack



This song, while fantastic, had to be disqualified due to unoriginality. By his own admission, Mack simply changed some words to an old song in a blatant attempt for a comeback by shooting up the Christmas charts. However, it did lead to an entertaining incident where, upon reaching the #1 spot on the singles chart, Mack stripped down naked and performed the song on live British television.

(By the way, if you don't get this, go rent the movie Love, Actually. As a heterosexual male I have no problems admitting how good it is. In fact, most guys I know would agree it's one of the best chick flicks out there.)

Honorable Mention: "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch"



This is for everyone out there who hates Christmas music. Boo to you, sirs and madams. I wouldn't touch you with a 39 1/2 foot pole.

#10: "Baby Please Come Home" by U2




Setting aside the 80's awesomeness of that video, I really don't have a solid reason for putting this on the list. In fact, it was a last-minute addition that I had honestly just forgotten about. That being said, it's a really fun song that to me, sums up the idea of the "Christmas Spirit" outside of the religious aspect, which is the thoughts of being with your loved ones on the holidays, the way it's meant to be. Plus, Bono is sporting an awesome mullet.

#9: "Let it Snow" by Dean Martin



A classic. Absolute classic. I know a ton of people who would put this at number 1, if for no other reason than how it just sets the tone for the entire season. Really, who doesn't want it to snow at this time of year? You know, except for anyone who has to shovel it.

#8: "Rudolph the Red-Nose Raindeer"/"Frosty the Snowman"/"The Chipmunk's Christmas Song"







Who DOESN'T remember these from their childhood? Every December, turning on the TV and finding one of your favorite holiday specials? I know there are tons of them now, and everyone has to try and do it bigger and better, but you won't find anything better than Rudolph and Frosty. And the Chipmunks? Well, I had to get them in somewhere!

#7: "Jingle Bell Rock"



One of those songs you can't help but sing and dance along to. Noticing a trend? I really do like the more fun and happy songs that just can't help but bring some joy along, and this one does it perfectly.

#6: "Believe" by Josh Groban



OK, so maybe I don't only like fast paced songs. This song from the movie "The Polar Express" (Sidebar: Never saw it. That style of animation creeps me out.) is a very touching piece, with amazing vocals and orchestration behind it. Most of the songs on here are just fun little fluff pieces, but this is a legit fantastic song. I could really listen to this over and over.

#5: "Christmas Eve/Sarajevo - 24/7" by Trans-Siberian Orchestra



Oh, you had to know this was going to be on here somewhere. I mean, you can say what you want about Christmas music, but this song straight up kicks ass. If you don't know how great Trans-Siberian Orchestra is, here's another video for you to check out, and I'm sure you'll agree after you watch it.



#4: "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year"



Just like "Let it Snow", a classic number that HAD to be on the list. Again, this one sums up how a lot of people feel (just read the title!) and probably would be number 1 on a lot of lists. Really, at this point, the songs are all almost interchangeable. I dare you to listen to this song and not have a smile come to your face.

#3: "All I Want For Christmas Is You" by Mariah Carey



If anyone likes Christmas music more than me, it's my good friend and fraternity brother Max. (Yeah, I know, same name, haha.) In fact, Max is quite prone at this time of year to drive around not only blasting the music loudly with all his windows down, but also to be singing at the top of his lungs. And, having been present for quite a few of those performances, this is one of his (and my) favorites. So Max, next time you drive around Columbia, MO, play a little Mariah Carey for me and spread some Christmas spirit courtesy of the Jews.

#2: "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" by Bruce Springsteen



I know there are tons of versions of this song, but for the best one, look to The Boss. I mean, do the other versions have the E Street Band? No? Didn't think so. Besides, the actual taped version, the one that they play on the radio, is actually a live version where he's at this best. That's awesome. Another song I could play over and over again (and as many annoyed OTZMAnikim could attest, I have).

And finally, the Number One Christmas Song is...



"The Hanukkah Song" by Adam Sandler

Oh, come on. You expected anything else out of this good Jewish boy?


2 comments:

  1. Max, I've known you your entire life and I did not know this about you. FYI, I have created a Pandora station just for Holiday music and I have been listening to it for a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learn something new about my son with every post. I only have one thing to say ...OY VEY!!

    ReplyDelete